Pages

Sunday, November 20, 2011

Quite the Opposite?





Those who live within their means suffer from a lack of imagination – Oscar Wilde 


I don't mean to tarnish the memory of Mr. Wilde, (I've paid my respects), but when I saw this quote, I couldn't help but disagree strongly. Yes, things were much, much different in his time, but I saw this quote on a bottle of fragrance sticks in a bathroom in my office building, so the sentiment must still ring true for some people. 

I would say, were I a wild author, that those who live within their means are masters of their imagination and know how to craft and create in ways that respect, nourish, and hearten. It is so easy to live outside our means. Most of us carry a small piece of plastic that grants us access to things we can't afford and lifestyles too big and fast to keep up with.  As we move into an economy that forces us to make choices and possibly go without that third flat screen for the basement, we are re-learning how to live within the small window of universe we were blessed with. 

This doesn't mean embellishment doesn't have a place in the window, but those embellishments are starting to look different. Homemade, handcrafted, presented with intention and love. And those elements require some degree of imagination, don't they? 

4 comments:

  1. i am cheering you on over here. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I strongly disagree with his quote, too. Living within my means makes me feel good on all levels. As horrible as the recession is, in a way, I'm glad I'm growing up during it because it will have a long term affect on how I see the world and the ways in which I value my money. If there hadn't been a recession, for example, I might have not: decided to go to graduate school when I couldn't find a job with my undergraduate degree; started shopping at thrift stores; decided to crack down and save my money (on some days...). These are life decisions and habits that aren't going to fade away once the economy does pick up again, and I think I'm a better person because of that.

    Anyway. I think you worded it a lot better than I did. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree with you. I think Oscar Wilde said things in order to be controversial.

    ReplyDelete